This is why you must have an emergency fund and a plan for if you loose your job. I don't have an emergency fund but I can get out of paying most of my credit cards. A while back I signed up for a program that would pay my minimum payments if I ever loose my job. And to think I was about to cancel it. My federal student loans are easy, I can always file for deferment or forbearance. I am worried about my Sallie Mae student loan, they don't work with you at all, but you can't get blood from a stone.
- Find a part time job - In case I loose my primary job I will have some income coming in.
- Look for a new full time job - Self explanatory
- Add to my skills - Jobs in my field require knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and In Design. I can use this time to take classes (Pay cash of course)
- Find other ways to make money - I have a degree in Fashion Design & Merchandising. I learned how to sew and make patterns. I make handbags and pillows as a hobby, maybe I can make money from them.
- Continue to pay debt, but maybe save more and pay the minimums.