Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Recession Entrepreneurs

I have seen news stories and articles about the recession spawning a surge in entrepreneurs. The uncertainty of the job market is encouraging individuals to start their own businesses (home based or otherwise) either as a side job or as a new career.

I have looked into the prospect of starting a home based business to supplement my (decreased) income and I have come to realize something.

THERE IS A LOT OF RED TAPE INVOLVED IN STARTING A HOME BASED BUSINESS

Between zoning laws and home owners association rules I don't see how anyone can legally operate a home based business.

I am all for restrictions, I mean I don't want to live next door to a brothel. But me at the sewing machine making a purse......I don't see how that bothers anyone.

Anyone have a home based business? How were you able to do it?

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    What do you mean zoning laws and HOA rules for home business?

    I've started many business and also in the same situation as you with debt.
    I have a blog you can follow me at
    www.amoneystory.blogspot.com

    Starting a home business is great if your overhead is low. What ideas did you have in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I just came across your blog while looking at for other blog sites. Are you sure that zoning laws and HOA rules can prohibit you from making extra income at home? I'm sure it differs from one state to another but I don't see how they can try to regulate that. I've operated (and still do part-time) my own business from home as a freelancer and there's no issues.

    -Res

    ReplyDelete