Monday, March 2, 2009

Trying to Make a Doller Out of 15 Cents

I know my posts have been sporadic lately, but as you know I have been going through some things at work. To catch everyone up I have been demoted at work and had to take a 2.15% pay cut AND my hours have been cut back by 2.5 per week.

I decided I could either get mad or get productive. I decided to get productive (I got mad too.)

1. Come up with a new budget
I am going to have to learn how to survive on $1660 compared to $2100.

I deferred my federal loan for a year - Saving $180 a month.

2. Get a part time job
So far no luck, but a new store, pharmacy, and supermarket are opening near my current
job.

3. Find ways to lower variable bills
I turned down the thermostat to 72 and don't turn in lights unless I am reading.

I am continuing to save, I am going to try to maintain my goal of $100 a month (but no less than $50).

I'm undecided on what I am going to do about acquiring new skills so I can get a new job. I've been told I can get books and teach myself the software. Has anyone tried this? How effective is it?

After everything that has happened to me in the past month I have been giving some serious thought to starting my own business. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time but never did. I know we are in the middle of a horrific economy, but many businesses started during the Great Depression.

It's something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. This economy is hard on everyone. Try craigs list for part time work or snag-a-job

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are thinking about starting your own business, make sure you do your homework before you invest any money (or appreciable time). Specifically, understand the risks and pitfalls involved so you can either avoid them or know how to deal with them.

    Also, do you know anyone you can partner with? Ideally you would want someone who complements you. For example, if you are weak in keeping financial books and records, you would want a person who is talented in this area.

    I'm sorry that you were demoted at work. Sounds like you are keeping a good attitude which is great. If you haven't read the de facto job hunting and career changers bible "What Color Is Your Parachute", I highly recommend it. The author provides several excellent tips for searching during a challenging job market.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete